photo becca_home_zps8d7ec4db.png photo becca_about_zpse3023212.png photo becca_sponsor_zps3f4e68a2.png photo becca_contact_zpsce60da8b.png
 photo becca_recipes_zps3356654e.png photo becca_ohbaby_zps31a2c428.png photo becca_xoxo_zpsfdbbf02a.png

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Cinco De Mayo FUN!


Any holiday that gives me the excuse to eat chips, salsa, guacamole, burritos, tacos... well, you get the picture -and- a limitless supply of beer and margaritas?  Are you seri? Count me IN! Mix in some bright colors and loud music, and we have a fiesta!  Enter: Cinco de Mayo.  I think it is super lame that this fab holiday falls on a Sunday (so I will have to limit the beer and margaritas... darn Monday workday!) but I will not be limiting the fun. This year, we are celebrating Cuatro de May (May 4th) so that fun can still be had!  I just seek out excuses to celebrate (and shop) for everything, and this is no different!




That being said, Lee and I are really trying to eat healthy, and make healthier decisions when it comes to food and drinks.  Does that mean I don't drink?  Ummm no (have you seen my blog posts?!) but I am more intentional about what, and how much, I do drink.  The same goes with food.  So I sought out to find some healthier alternatives to the usually sugar filled margs and salt/grease soaked Mexican food.  Here is what I have found, and will be celebrating with, for our weekend celebration!  We plan to grill everything, but it can all easily be cooked in the oven/crock pot too!

Let's start with the real reason alot of us celebrate... the drinks!

 
And, on to the appetizers! Again, we are on a healthy-er kick in this house!
How about a healthy twist on Jalapeno Poppers?  These little suckers are only 61 calories per jalapeno slice! (And I have no clue why the image is so small...but if you click on it, it will blow it up in another screen)


 
 
And lastly, the main course!


We love burritos and tacos, but the re fried beans and extra carbs aren't exactly diet friendly.  Instead, we are grilling some carne asada/pollo asada (we usually buy it from Trader Joes or Whole Foods) and serve on Ezekiel tortillas.  These are flour-less, sprouted grain tortillas (translation:less carbs) and serve with grilled veggies, greek yogurt (instead of sour cream), low fat shredded cheese, etc. (Again, no clue on why the image is so small. Click on it, and it will get bigger. I am tech-challenged!)
 
 

Of course, I might throw in a Miller Chill with Lime (only 100 calories!) and some guacamole, but these food options will help us stay on track, even with a Cinco Cuatro de Mayo party!
 
On a side note, do you know why we celebrate Cinco de Mayo? According to History.com, "commemorates the Mexican army's 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867). A relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations. Cinco de Mayo traditions include parades, mariachi music performances and street festivals in cities and towns across Mexico and the United States."
 
Your welcome.
 
So what is everyone else doing?  Anything fun?  If you live near Tucson, I better be getting an invite.
And finally, a picture of my Doo. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
  

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment